Thursday, March 21, 2002

 
Last evening, I got an answering machine at home. Like all new gizmos that come into my house, and my wife never tires pointing it out, I tinkered with it like a “child with a new toy” (my wife’s words, not mine) well into the night. Setting it up, discovering its wonders, scripting the outgoing message, rehearsing how to say the words, and finally getting freaked out hearing my own voice. It sounded strange and alien. My voice had a distinct accent, and was extremely self-conscious. Is that how I sound? Or do machines do strange things to human voice? I guess it takes a lot of getting used to talking to a machine.

If you have my number, call me at home and leave me a message. Don’t laugh your silly heads off, or I will kill you :)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?